Staffer’s Book Review began in spring of 2011 with a review of James S.A. Corey’s Leviathan Wakes. What started as a writing exercise, soon became a love for the process of criticism. Since then Staffer’s Book Review has published hundreds of reviews and essays. Justin Landon is the editor, creator, and primary blogger for the site.
Passionate about science fiction and fantasy from a young age, Justin lost his way in college where he decided the road map to being cool lay in post-modernism. He was terribly wrong. He rediscovered the genre through David Anthony Durham’s Acacia. Durham’s novel led to Joe Abercrombie’s First Law Trilogy, which led to China Miéville’s The Scar, and so on. After suffering a catastrophic knee injury in 2010, Justin began reading heavily again, expanding from 25-30 books a year to well over 100. With his new found free time not spent on a basketball court, he started blogging. Now he is also contributor for several other outlets including the Hugo Nominated blog A Dribble of Ink and Tor.com, where he hosts Rocket Talk, the Tor.com podcast.
In spring of 2013, in partnership with Jurassic London, Jared Shurin and Justin co-edited the first ever anthology designed to collect the best non-fiction work online. Titled, Speculative Fiction 2012: The Year’s Best Online Reviews and Commentary, the project has been nominated for a 2014 Hugo Award for Best Related Work. Justin couldn’t be prouder.
On Joe Abercrombie at Tor.com
- Desperate Times Call for Desperados: Joe Abercrombie’s “Some Desperado”
- The Joe Abercrombie First Law Trilogy Reread
Other Posts at Tor.com
- Marinating on Milieu: Three Princes by Ramona Wheeler
- Thief’s Magic: Now I’ll Cut This Story Into Two!
Under the Radar:
- Under the Radar: Mid-Series from the Mid List
- Under the Radar: ML Brennan’s Generation V
- Under the Radar: Teresa Frohock’s Miserere: An Autumn Tale
- Under the Radar: Zachary Jernigan’s No Return
- A Dribble of Ink: ‘Fantasy: Why I left and why I came back’ by Justin Landon
- Book Smugglers: Smugglivus 2012 Guest Blogger: Justin of Staffer’s Book Review (On gender specific stories)
- Book Smugglers: Smugglivus 2013 Guest Blogger: Justin Landon of Staffer’s Book Review on Gender Parity and Cover Art
- Pornokitsch: Terry Brooks’ The Sword of Shannara by Justin Landon
- SF Signal: Small Press Spotlight: Small Beer Press
- SF Signal: Small Press Spotlight: ChiZine Publications
- SF Signal: Small Press Spotlight: Prime Books
- Speculative Scotsman: Justin of Staffer’s Book Review on Sex in SFF
- Episode 79 of Speculate! — Book Blogging Discussion with Justin Landon of Staffer’s Book Review
- The SF Signal Podcast (Episode 156): Panel: Are Optimistic SF Stories Gone Forever?
- The SF Signal Podcast (Episode 163): Star Wars, Disney and Marvel, Oh My!
- The SF Signal Podcast (Episode 166): 2012 Gift Giving Guide for the Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan in Your Life
- The SF Signal Podcast (Episode 185): How Did You Became a Speculative Fiction Fan?
- The Functional Nerds Episode 097 – Paul Weimer and Justin Landon
- The Functional Nerds Episode 144 – Justin Landon Part 1
- The Functional Nerds Episode 145 – Justin Landon Part 2
- Reader/Writer – Controversy!
- The Skiffy and Fanty Show Episode 141 - Final Hugo Thoughts + the Hugh Howey Fiasco w/ Justin Landon and Jonathan McCalmont
- The Skiffy and Fanty Show Episode 155 - Justin Landon & Jared Shurin (a.k.a. the Criticabal) — Speculative Fiction ’12 and SF Criticism (A Discussion)
- The Skiffy and Fanty Show Episode 159 - The Hugo Final Ballot and Our Votes w/ Justin Landon & Renay
- The Skiffy and Fanty Show Episode 164 - Post-Worldcon/Post-Hugo Thoughts w/ Mike Underwood & Justin Landon
- The Skiffy and Fanty Show Episode 201 – The Hugo Awards (A Discussion w/ Justin Landon and Natalie Luhrs)